2014 R - 151 - STRONGLY INDORSING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND HIGHWAYS THE PROPOSAL FOR THE RECLASSIFICATION OF RIZAL AVENUE EXTENSION (FROM UNITY ROTONDA TO SBFZ BANICAIN GATE), MAGSAYSAY DRIVE EXTENSION (MT. APO ST.,TO SBFZ BANICAIN GATE) AND 14TH STREET (RIZAL AVENUE TO SBFZ 14TH GATE) AS NATIONAL ROAD
EXCERPTS FROM THE MINUTES OF THE REGULAR SESSION OF THE SANGGUNIANG PANLUNGSOD OF OLONGAPO,
HELD ON OCTOBER 22, 2014
AT THE CITY HALL.
Hon. Rodel S. Cerezo - City Vice-Mayor & Presiding Officer
Hon. Eduardo J. Piano- - - City Councilor
Hon. Aquilino Y. Cortez, Jr.- “ “
Hon. Eduardo G. Guerrero- “ “
Hon. Benjamin G. Cajudo II- - “ “
Hon. Elena C. Dabu- “ “
Hon. Noel Y. Atienza- - “ “
Hon. Alreuela M. Bundang-Ortiz - “ “
Hon. Edna A. Elane- “ “
Hon. Emerito Linus D. Bacay- “ “
Hon. Randy C. Sionzon-- President, Liga ng mga Barangay
Hon. Egmidio M. Gonzales, Jr. - Indigenous Peoples Mandatory Representative
Hon. Eyrma Yvette D. Marzan-Estrella- - City Councilor (Sick Leave)
RESOLUTION NO. 151
(Series of 2014)
A RESOLUTION STRONGLY INDORSING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND HIGHWAYS THE PROPOSAL FOR THE RECLASSIFICATION OF RIZAL AVENUE EXTENSION (FROM UNITY ROTONDA TO SBFZ BANICAIN GATE), MAGSAYSAY DRIVE EXTENSION (MT. APO ST.,TO SBFZ BANICAIN GATE) AND 14TH STREET (RIZAL AVENUE TO SBFZ 14TH GATE) AS NATIONAL ROAD
WHEREAS, the first road classification system in the country was established through Republic Act No. 917, known as the Philippine Highway Act, enacted in 1953 and Executive Order 113, Series of 1955 which classified roads into national roads (national primary and national secondary), “national aid” roads (roads of sufficient importance for eventual reclassification at a later state) and provincial/city/municipal/barangay roads;
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. 124, Series of 1987, stipulates that the Minister (now the Secretary) of the Ministry (now Department) of Public Works and Highways shall have the power to “Classify roads and highways into national, regional (interpreted as routes of primary arterial roads), provincial, city, municipal and barangay roads, based on objective criteria it shall adopt; provide or authorize conversion of roads and highways from one category to another”;
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. 113, also laid down the following additional criteria for classification of National Roads and criteria for re-classification from local roads to National Roads:
1. National Roads shall have a right-of-way of not less than 20 meters, provided that a right-of-way of at least 60 meters shall be reserved for roads constructed through untitled public land.
2. For re-classification of local roads, Executive Order No. 113 implies that proof of acquisition of the required road right-of-way shall be provided to the Department (such as Deed of Donation of Sale duly notarized and indicating the lot number and area acquired, and Real Property Tax Declaration Number and/or Certification from the concerned Provincial Registry of Deeds and/or DENR in case of forested land).
3. The National Roads forming the secondary trunk-line system shall exclude “feeder roads”, defined as roads branching off the trunk-line system and not being in line with the provisions in the second paragraph on this page.
4. Any local road proposed for conversion shall meet the original criteria for classification of national Roads as described in the second paragraph on this page. This requires that a proposal shall be accompanied by: (i) an endorsement by the Provincial and/or Municipal Board to the Secretary of Public Works and Communications (now the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH); and (ii) a location map indicating kilometre stations at the start and end of the passable road and its relation to other road networks in the area.
5. The Secretary of the DPWH shall declare re-classification of local roads to National Roads (reinforced by EO No. 124).
WHEREAS, on July 5, 2013, Engr. Hercules C. Manglicmot, District Engineer of Department of Public Works and Highways wrote Hon. Rolen C. Paulino, City Mayor, Olongapo City seeking for the approval of a Sangguniang Panlungsod resolution endorsing the proposal for reclassification as required by the Department;
WHEREAS, on July 7, 2014, Hon. Rolen C. Paulino, City Mayor, Olongapo City indorsed the proposal to the City Council for approval;
NOW, THEREFORE, on motion of City Councilor Noel Y. Atienza, with the majority decision of the Members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod present,
RESOLVED, AS IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED, by the Sangguniang Panlungsod in session assembled, to strongly endorse, as it hereby strongly endorses to the Department of Public Works and Highways the proposal for the reclassification of Rizal Avenue Extension (From Unity Rotonda to SBFZ Banicain Gate), Magsaysay Drive Extension (Mt. Apo St., to SBFZ Banicain Gate) and 14th Street (Rizal Avenue to SBFZ 14th Gate) as National Road.
Let a copy of the foregoing resolution be furnished the Department of Public Works and Highway for their record and perusal.
APPROVED, October 22, 2014